African Farmer is available in two versions, a single player game and a multiplayer game.
In the single player game, you manage a farming household in rural Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Decide what to grow in the fields
- Choose your family’s diet and look after their health
- Buy food, fertilizer and seeds from the market
- Watch out for chance events like bad weather, disease and price rises
As the seasons change, you can see the results of your decisions and adapt your strategy.
Play the game
(Click the button above to play the single player game in your browser.)
If you have problems loading the Flash game in your internet browser, you may need to download and install Adobe Flash Player.
If you don’t have Flash, download the Adobe AIR version to your computer (AIR file, 2.4 MB)
Single Player Guide and Handy Guide
The Single Player guide includes a full description of the game flow, the settings behind the game play and the user interface. The Handy Guide is a 2-page summary.
- Download the Single Player Guide (pdf, 9MB)
- Handy Guide (PDF, 500 KB): 2-page printable overview of the main screens, game flow and tasks
An interactive overview of the game. Click on the Contents menu (slide 3) to browse.
- Download the Walkthrough as a PowerPoint slideshow (PPSX, 6.5 MB)
African Farmer is also available in a multiplayer version for use in classrooms and training. Read about the multiplayer game.
Sign up to the mailing list to get an email when the game is released, and be notified about other important updates.